Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Crockpot Spaghetti/Pizza Sauce



We have had several half-ripe tomatoes with bad spots, so resourcefully speaking, I had to do something so that they would not become a total compost. (I do love the red-yellow-green color combination of these heirloom tomatoes.)  There has not been an abundance of tomatoes this year to warrant a big production of canning.

I cut up the good parts of the (washed) tomatoes, threw them in three smallish crock pots, chunked up about 1 medium red onion, and a handful of basil leaves from the garden for each crock pot. That's it!  I did not even take off the tomato skins.  I let it cook all night on high, no lid, so that the moisture would decrease.  I did not even add salt.  Next morning I turned the crock pots down to low for a couple of hours, then turned them off and let them cool down.  I saw that the volume had gone down to about half and the mixture was getting thick enough to make good sauce.  Then I just put the contents into the blender.  It tastes wonderful!  Sweet, thick, and just right.  I have made several batches--canned some of it, ate some on our mud-oven pizza (more about that later), and had some on spaghetti.  It could easily be frozen.  Great sauce, very little work, using up what is available.

No comments:

Post a Comment