Thursday, September 30, 2010

Make Your Own Rice Milk!

When the cost of manufactured almond and rice milk became more than I wanted to spend, I found a recipe for rice milk that works just fine.  I bought short-grain organic brown rice.  In a big pan I  put 4 qts. of water and 1 cup of the brown rice.  Bring it to a boil and turn it down to simmer for 1 to 1 1/2  hours.  Let it cool for a while and then stir it up and blend it, then strain through cheesecloth.  Wring out the cheesecloth when it gets about through and pour the rice milk into a pitcher or jar.  Keep repeating this process until you have finished.   I remove the residue in the cheesecloth and collect it for take-out.  I take it out to the hens, and they love it.  I also rinse out the cheesecloth between batches.  


I add 1/2 T. real maple syrup, 1/2 T. honey, and a dash of Redmond salt to each 2-qt. pitcher.  This makes almost 4 quarts of rice milk.   We use it mostly for smoothies or "hot chocolate" made with carob. It is quite good, and saves a bundle.

No comments:

Post a Comment